Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 09 Jul 2023 07:40:49 GMT by
Hi, Apologies for the lengthy thread. I have received notice that I must complete a self - assessment tax return due to earning over £100,000 for the previous tax year. My usual salary is not over £100,000 however, I received a redundancy payment that took me just above the threshold. Do I still need to complete a self- assessment under these circumstances? I have paid all tax on my salary through PAYE and tax has been deducted on the redundancy payment on the amount above £30,000. I have started to complete the form and can see anywhere I can put the information about the payment. I have used details from my P45 to complete the form and it is now saying I owe tax - I am not sure why this will be if I have already paid the tax salary and redundancy payment? I am unsure of the figures on my P45 (income and tax paid). The figure shown is higher than my salary, but is not high enough to include my redundancy payment. I am assuming the income section on my P45 is only showing taxable income - so my salary + taxable amount from my redundancy payment? Any help with the above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Posted Fri, 14 Jul 2023 11:38:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi bry1987,

As your total income is over £100,000 you still need to complete the tax return.  
To claim relief on the redundancy payment you will need the additional  information page SA101 - Additional information (2023).
You may also want to refer to the notes that accompany this page to help you complete it.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.