Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2024 09:40:07 GMT by EdwardUK
I moved to UK from Hong Kong in late August 2021. I am not sure if I need to fill in tax return for the items mentioned below. (1) Do I need to disclose what I have saved/earned from Mandatory Provident Fund (MPF) but I have never cashed out? (2) Do I need to disclose the interests what I have earned from the saving account of the banks in Hong Kong?; (3) Do I need to disclose the interests what I have earned from the shares in Hong Kong but I have never cahsed out? (4) Since I have not filled in any tax return for the previous financial years in UK, how could I work back my tax return, if needed? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 29 Aug 2024 14:48:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi,
The mandatory provident fund is not taxable in the UK, so does not need to be declared on a self assessment tax return.
The UK / Hong Kong tax treaty allows for the UK to tax interest arising in Hong Kong and paid to a resident of the UK (articel 11).  
It is the same for dividends (article 10).  2010 Hong Kong-UK DTA.
Being in receipt of foreign income, is criteria for completing a self assessment tax return.
 If you have not registered for self assessment, you can do this at Check how to register for Self Assessment.  
If you need to print off tax returns and supplementary pages, you can do this atSelf Assessment tax return forms, which includes links to archived tax returns.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.