Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 29 Dec 2023 15:27:16 GMT by
Hi, one of the companies I invested in under EIS ceased trading last year and I would like to claim EIS loss relief against my income tax for the 22/23 tax year. Is it possible to do this via the online self assessment portal? I have seen other responses from HMRC in these forums saying it is possible, but it's not clear to me in which section I should fill in the details of the loss. I understand I can use the supplemental SA108 form to claim for this (I think), but again, I'm not clear how this would be logged via the online self assessment process. Can anyone help?
Posted Thu, 04 Jan 2024 16:03:29 GMT by
Can anyone help with this?
Posted Tue, 09 Jan 2024 12:44:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

Yes, you can claim this. You would note it as a disposal with no funds received and claim the election of negligable value claim.

Thank you
Posted Tue, 09 Jan 2024 14:43:39 GMT by
Thanks for confirming, would it be possible to clarify exactly where within the online self assessment I would include all this detail, I'm struggling to find the specific page to offset against income tax.
Posted Tue, 09 Jan 2024 22:09:01 GMT by
I believe what you need to do is tick yes when tailoring you return to the question "If you disposed of any chargeable assets, or had any chargeable gains, or you wish to claim an allowable loss, or make any other claim or election, do you need to complete the Capital Gains section?" There is then a relevant part on loss relief where (I am not a tax adviser but I think I'm right - I've done it twice so far...) you enter the amount lost, net of the tax relief. So if you bought £1000 in shares and the company went completely bust, your claim is for £700.
Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 08:51:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

You will need to tailor your return at section 3 to say yes to capital gain. You need to state that it is unlisted shares and then complete the boxes required for the amounts.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 09:15:16 GMT by
Thanks, is this the right way to offset against income tax rather than capital gains though? The way I read the form on that page is it will offset against capital gains which isn't what I want.
Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 11:24:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi Jay Taxayer
That is correct.
Posted Thu, 18 Jan 2024 07:17:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi NotTheRealMrT,
Please refer to guidance here:
Claim to set loss from share disposal against income
Thank you. 
Posted Sun, 28 Jan 2024 13:54:12 GMT by
The online form won't let me set disposal proceeds to zero (the company being liquidated and has ceased trading, so my proceeds are nothing), is there any way around this or am I misunderstanding what I should put in this box? ( Not sure if this will work but example of what I see is in this screenshot: )
Posted Sun, 28 Jan 2024 17:39:16 GMT by
Same question here. EIS losses against income tax. Where is that filled in on online assessment please? It is not capital gains loss.
Posted Sun, 28 Jan 2024 17:42:59 GMT by
The link posted above by HMRC Admin 25 goes to a Microsoft login page so isn’t accessible. Also we’re not sure what Admin 10 ‘That is correct’ is saying is correct. Thanks for helping.
Posted Wed, 31 Jan 2024 10:30:56 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi NotTheRealMrT,

You change it to £1 and add a further £1 to your costs to show that £0 has been made.

Thank you.
Posted Wed, 31 Jan 2024 11:27:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi Gojo2 Anon,

It still needs to be declared under the capital gains section as unlisted shares, this then allows it to be set against other income. You can see guidance here at box 41:

Capital Gains Summary notes

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.