Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 07 Dec 2023 23:39:49 GMT by George Hillier
Hello, I was hoping to get some clarity on if/when student loan repayments are due on income from the rent-a-room scheme. I understand that if you are below the £7,500 tax free allowance that this is unregistered income and therefore student loan repayments are not due. However, if you are above this allowance, say £10,000 a year, will you be liable to pay student loan contributions on the whole £10,000 or just the amount over the £7,500 allowance i.e. student loan contributions woudl be due against the £2,500 part above this allowance?
Posted Tue, 12 Dec 2023 15:52:00 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

It will just be the £2500 as this is the taxabale income.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.