Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 15 May 2024 14:42:24 GMT by Nithin Mathew
Hello, I am having trouble with my oversees repayment as I am being charged more than I should for my repayments. I moved to Australia and work in a sales role where some of expenses are reimbursed by the company such as, dinner with customers. student finance has decided that the money I paid out of my own pocket which gets reimbursed to me is part of my income and has calculated this when working out my repayment. I also worked in a sales role in the UK and expenses reimbursement was never calculated as part of my income.. I have provided them with my salary slips which shows that i am not even getting taxed by the government as the reimbursement is my own money that I am getting back every month. Please can someone help calrify this? Thank you
Posted Fri, 17 May 2024 15:19:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Nithin Mathew,
As your query appears to relate to tax in Australia, you will need to contact the tax authporities there.
Thank you. 

Posted Fri, 17 May 2024 20:34:07 GMT by Nithin Mathew
Hi, Thank you for getting back to me however as stated above my query is regarding my repayment for student finance england and not tax in australia. I have send student finance england proof of my salary with pay slips for 3 months and in the pay slips it shows expense reimbursement which is expenses I paid for out of my own pocket for the month that the company pays me back during the next pay cycle, This varies each month as depending on how much I spend out of pocket that month and have submitted in my expense claim. Some companies will give their employees company credit cards for use of their company expenses for the month but mine just happens to be paid out of pocket and then later paid back to me. This was never calculated as part of my salary when i worked a saled role in the UK however it is being calculated as part of my salary now that I have moved to Australia and thereby increasing my repayment more than it should have been, Please can you help clarify this? Thanks
Posted Thu, 23 May 2024 07:41:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Nithin Mathew,
We can only comment on the UK side of things and your original question is in relation to a refund from Australia.
Your expenses paid by yourself and then given as a rembursement are not included for working out any tax due in respect of student loan payments in the UK.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.