Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 18 Jan 2024 15:17:22 GMT by
Hi. I hope you can help me with my query. On 16/11/23 I informed HMRC that I had stopped being self employed. I then applied for Universal Credit. I was told that I have to produce a letter/Certificate of Status from HMRC for my claim to be processed. I spoke to a Self assessment adviser who told me that a letter would be sent automatically. This didn't arrive. I have spoken to advisers 3 times since, the last call on 23/12/23. The adviser told me that he would request that the letter be resent. It also hasn't arrived. Can you advise me on how I can prove to Universal Credit that I am no longer self employed so that I can get my Universal Credit claim processed. Also, is it possible for me to fill in a tax return from 6/4/23 - 16/11/23. I cannot find a link in my online account. Thank you very much for any help or advise you can give me. EM.
Posted Mon, 22 Jan 2024 12:24:09 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi

Until the tax return has been submitted we cannot confirm this and you cannot submit the return until after 6/4/24 to declare income for the whole year. You can contact us direct to issue a letter stating you intimated that you had ceased on that date .

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.