Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 19 Apr 2024 14:55:33 GMT by Pik yu Chiang
Dear HMRC, We are going to fill up Self Assessment tax return on line, my spouse is a retired civil servant from Hong Kong. Each month, he received pension from Hong Kong Government . According to the double taxation agreement between UK and Hong Kong, article 17 of the UK/HK double taxation agreement, the pension is only taxation in Hong Kong, so this income is not taxable in the UK and it should not shown on a Self Assessment tax return. When he inputs the information on the system, it asks to put " yes" or " no " on the question " Are you liable to pension saving tax charges or have you received payment from overseas pension schemes ?" Because he received pension from Hong Kong Government every month, what should he select ? If this pension should not show on the UK Self Assessment tax return . Thank you. Best regards,
Posted Wed, 24 Apr 2024 11:34:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Pik yu Chiang,
Select no.
The pension from Hong Kong should only be referred to in the comments section of the tax return.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.