Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 28 Nov 2023 00:04:34 GMT by thomas mullett
Hello HMRC I live in Colombia, and I am considered a tax resident here. I am a freelancer, and I currently have a contract with a UK company. The money I earn is paid in full to my UK bank account, which I then transfer to my account in Colombia, I also have an alphabet share in a UK company, and I receive an annual dividend. Do I have to submit a UK tax return to reflect the income and/or the dividend? Do I have to pay tax on these in the UK? Would any of the above change if the money was paid directly into my Colombian account rather into my UK account? I spoke to HMRC on the phone and I was told that I do not need to submit a tax return or pay tax in the UK; however, everything I read online suggests otherwise. Please advise. Thanks in advance!
Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2023 15:26:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi thomas mullett,
Please refer to guidance at Tax on your UK income if you live abroad
Thank you.
Posted Wed, 29 Nov 2023 16:07:28 GMT by thomas mullett
Hello. Yes, I have read this many times, but I'm still unclear. Please can you offer a bit more information?! I've looked at other posts on this forum, and the responses are usually far more detailed.
Posted Thu, 30 Nov 2023 15:43:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi thomas mullett,
As this forum is for guidance only, you will need to contact us direct please on 0300 200 3300 or seek professional advise.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.