Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 30 May 2024 17:12:04 GMT by J Lee
Hi HMRC colleagues, In my first tax year 2021/2022, I did my tax clearance in Hong Kong before arriving UK on 1 Oct 2021 and was unemployed for the rest of the year. Do I still need to submit a self assessment to report my income earned in Hong Kong from 6 April 2021 to 30 Sept 2021? Is it necessary to report a tiny little amount of interest (just around 20 GBP) from a saving account? If yes, would there be any penalty for back-dated submission? Thank you.
Posted Tue, 04 Jun 2024 09:52:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 21
Hi J Lee,
As you were unemployed for the remainder of the tax year, from your date of arrival, the exemption for small amounts of foreign income, does not apply.  
To claim split year treatment, requires the completion of a self assessment tax return, in which you would declare your UK income and capital gains and any foreign income and capital gains arising from the date you arrived in the UK.
 The due date for a 21/22 tax return has passed and late filing penalties will be applied.  You can appeal those penalties at Appeal a Self Assessment penalty for late filing or late payment, but only after the tax return has been submitted.
Thank you.
Posted Sat, 08 Jun 2024 16:04:01 GMT by J Lee
Hi HMRC colleagues, Thank you for your reply. Can I file the 2021-22 self assessment online? When reporting the very small amount of interest received from bank in Hong Kong, is it treated as "Foreign income" or "Captial gain"? Thank you.
Posted Thu, 13 Jun 2024 08:10:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi J Lee,
You can file your 21/22 return online, via your Personal Tax Account.
You would declare this income on the 'Foreign Income' pages, under 'interest and other income from overseas savings'.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.