Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 20 May 2024 16:50:51 GMT by Ruth Parchment
I have overpaid my student loan and am owed £5,204.24 . My payment was made as part of my self-assessment. Im self-employed and so my student loan comes out of the self-assessment. The class type recommended by HMRC was wrong and so I ended up paying the wrong amount, too much. My student loan is now completely paid off and my records with the SLC company show that I have overpaid by £5,204.24 I have spoken to HMRC and they have advised that I would need to contact the SLC for a refund. The student loan company have advised that the refund will come from HMRC. Its frustrating that neither companies are helping me to obtain my refund. Is it possible for HMRC and SLC to communicate with one another. I am losing many hours of my time being passed back and fouth.

Name amdt & email add removed from name admin .
Posted Wed, 22 May 2024 13:14:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
If  borrower has paid off student loan but then charged an additional amount via SA, he should contact SLU within HMRC (Self assessment helpline on 0300 200 3310) who will then contact Student Loan Company for confirmation amount not required.  If SLC confirm amount not needed SLU would then enter credit on SA statement of amount which t/p can then claim back if no other oustanding debts.
Posted Wed, 22 May 2024 16:56:26 GMT by Ruth Parchment
Thanks for your reply. Please could you explain what "SLU" is within HMRC. When I call HMRC should I ask directly for them? It would be useful to know what SLU stands for. Kind regards
Posted Tue, 28 May 2024 10:06:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 21
Hi Ruth Parchment,
It means: Student Loans Unit (SLU).
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.