Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 17 Oct 2023 11:19:47 GMT by
Hi, I just registered online for the self assessment and got the UTR number ,however, after checking, I think I don’t need to send a self assessment return, do I just leave it or I still need to send a return because I registered for this? Thanks
Posted Thu, 26 Oct 2023 08:46:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Yoko,

If you don’t think you meet the criteria you can complete an onlinine criteria check to review. Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return 
or you can contact HMRC to review Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 26 Oct 2023 08:59:02 GMT by
Yes. Thanks. I have already checked. If I don’t need to send a self assessment return , do I need to tell HMRC after my first time registered for the self assessment? Thanks
Posted Thu, 02 Nov 2023 08:41:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Yoko,
If you do not meet the criteria for Self Assessment then your UTR can be closed.
You can check here:
Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return
If you do not meet the criteria you can make an online submission to close.
Alternatively you can contact HMRC to review:
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 02 Nov 2023 15:17:53 GMT by
Thanks, but I started to receive uk property rental income since june2023, so I will need a self assessment return for 2023-2024. Do I have to keep the utr or I just close now and reopen for next year ?
Posted Fri, 03 Nov 2023 10:36:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Yoko,
You will need to declare your income from property in a tax return for 23/24.
This will be after 5 April 2024.
Your exisiting Unique Taxapayer Reference number (UTR) should continue to be used, as this is your Self Assessment reference number and Self Assessment is used to declare world-wide income.
Thank you. 
Posted Fri, 03 Nov 2023 18:35:24 GMT by
Thanks. So is there no problem that I got a UTR number this year and do not have self assessment return this year. Can the UTR number be kept for next year or any following year when I require to have tax returns? Thanks
Posted Wed, 15 Nov 2023 06:36:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Yoko,
Yes, if you contact HMRC we can cancel the current tax year if you do not meet the criteria and leave the Self Assessment record open going forward.
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 15 Nov 2023 09:34:45 GMT by
Thank you. May I ask in what way I could tell HMRC to cancel this year self assessment return? Thanks
Posted Fri, 17 Nov 2023 12:58:43 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Yoko,
Please refer to:
If you no longer need to send a tax return
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.