Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 06 Mar 2024 22:22:09 GMT by Katcarter99
We have gone over the child benefit income threshold due to my redundancy payment but our child benefit is in my wife’s name who’s wages are under the threshold. Does my wife have to complete a self assessment or is there a mechanism for just paying back the child benefit payments received for this year?
Posted Fri, 08 Mar 2024 14:16:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Katcarter99,
If you are the higher earner and your income is over £50K then it would be you that completes the Self Assessment tax return for the higher income child benefit charge, HICBC.
If not already registered you can register online Register for Self Assessment if you are not self-employed
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.