Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 26 Jul 2023 14:17:28 GMT by confused123
Hi, Hoping someone can help me out with this one since the helpline is closed. I have been self-employed for three years now. My job requires travel to Italy, so much so that, since April 2023, I have only been in the UK for about 20 days. My plan was to ask my client to allow me to return to UK in September so that I could remain there for at least 183 days and stay a UK tax resident. Now, I have learned of a personal situation which will require me to move and be with my relatives in Spain. This is a long-term situation so my new plan is to fiscally move to Spain come September. But - how do I report my income between April and September? Ideally, I want to pay my taxes until September in the UK - following the usual process. But since I do not comply with the residency minimum, I am confused about whether I still can do that. The other alternative would be to retroactively sign up as a sole trader with the Spanish government, and say that I have been trading there since April. However, since I was planning on remaining a UK resident, I have been adding to my UK ISA every month. Would this stop me from telling HMRC that I fiscally moved out of the UK in April this year? Thanks for reading
Posted Thu, 03 Aug 2023 07:34:11 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi confused123,

Please refer to Tax on your UK income if you live abroad.
You can still pay into your ISA for the current tax year but if no longer UK resdient, you cannot pay in after 06/04/24.

Thank you.


You must be signed in to post in this forum.