Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 27 Jul 2024 12:46:27 GMT by Christian Jones
Hello, At the beginning of June, I submitted a sole trader registration request via the HMRC site. On 10 June, I received an email from HMRC which said: "Thank you for your form to register as Self-Employed for National Insurance and Tax purposes. Our verification process requires that your registration form be passed to another department. This department may contact you for further information relating to your application. Once we have completed the verification process your registration will be processed you will receive a letter from us which will confirm your Unique Taxpayer Reference (UTR)." As of today (27 July), I haven't received any further communication, either digitally or by post. I was already registered for Self Assessment (I had a limited company - now dissolved - a few years ago) but I thought I needed to register again because I was applying for sole trader status. My question is: how do I find out if I've successfully registered as a sole trader? I've tried calling various numbers from the HMRC contact pages but I've either ended up in 30/40 minute queues or the person I've eventually spoken to hasn't been able to help. If the answer to my first question is yes, do I need to do anything other than declare my sole trader income at the end of the tax year? Many thanks in advance.
Posted Thu, 01 Aug 2024 09:39:40 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi,
If you are now a sole trader and your gross income will be over £1000 then yes you will need to register a self employed and complete a Self Assessment tax return at the ta year end.
If you have still not received a reply to your registration then you will need to contact HMRC to review Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 01 Aug 2024 10:39:10 GMT by Christian Jones
Hello, Thanks for your reply. That's the problem: I don't know if I am now a sole trader. I haven't received any communication at all from HMRC since the email of 10 June that I copied above.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.