Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 07 Feb 2024 21:24:38 GMT by
I pay a weekly direct debut into my Self Assessment account, and when I checked on 9th January, the total credit figure (showing as available to be repaid) was almost double the amount of tax I was due to pay by the 31st January. I logged into my account on the 2nd February to check if my tax had been paid, and how much credit was leftover so I could request a repayment to put towards a new bathroom. However, the tax was still outstanding and showing as overdue, and the entire credit amount showing just 3 weeks earlier had disappeared. As of this evening, this is still the case. I'm hoping it's the case that the credit amount has been made temporarily unavailable whilst the tax payment is settled, before the rest is "returned" to may account, but I've been unable to get through on the phone, the folk on the HMRC Facebook chat don't seem to know much, and online searches for an explanation have proven fruitless. If anyone can shed any light on this and put my mind at rest, I'd be very grateful.
Posted Tue, 13 Feb 2024 12:52:58 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi 

If you had a credit on your Self Assessment then this would have been allocated against the balance due 31 January 2024 and any remaining credit then available for repayment.
If this is still not showing on your account then you will need to contact HMRC to review Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.