Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 27 Mar 2021 17:29:32 GMT by Paulyne
Hi I received a P800 notice from HMRC saying I was due a tax refund and a cheque was being sent to Brooksdale Limited. I do not recall signing any papers to make these my agents, but HMRC say they have something on file from them. I must have inadvertently filled in a form without realising what it was really for, thinking it was for something else. Has anyone else had experience of this and can I now request HMRC to remove this company from my file and deal directly only with m? Also why did not HMRC contact me prior to sending them the cheque as I believe I have been scammed by this company and am not sure what document HMRC have on file or even if I signed it!
Posted Sat, 10 Apr 2021 11:27:29 GMT by Sarah Batts
Hi - I have also just received a letter from HMRC saying I overpaid tax in the tax year April 2017-April 2018 and that they are sending a cheque to Brooksdale Ltd. I did sign something from them a while ago, to do with claiming PPI or something. Did you resolve this in the end and get the tax refund send to you directly? I am interested to know what happened, or what I should do.
Posted Thu, 01 Jul 2021 14:10:44 GMT by LynnMarie Lindley
Hi - I have been speaking to the same company since HMRC sent my cheque to them on 17 March 2021 and they are constantly either ignoring me or 'fobbing me off'. This is my money and I am entitled to it. How can I move this forward or have the cheque reissued to me and remove them from the equation as I too don't remember signing anything and have never heard of them. Can I report them as they are holding onto money which is rightfully mine? Thank you
Posted Mon, 05 Jul 2021 10:51:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

If we received a form assigning the refund to the company we are unable to cancel the repayment to them unless we receive a signed agreement from both you and the company.

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 22 Feb 2022 09:24:40 GMT by RosieJ
I have no knowledge of accepting Brooksdale as an agent although I did receive a PPI refund from We fight any claim some years ago. I understand you have now sent my refund to Brooksdale but have not received any refund from Brooksdale as yet
Posted Tue, 22 Feb 2022 10:47:28 GMT by HMRC Admin 17

If you are unaware of signing any documents, if you contact our income tax department we can issue a copy of the document we received :

Income Tax: general enquiries   .

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 06 May 2022 08:57:40 GMT by Steve S
I'm in a similar boat. I vaguely recall enquiring online a few months back, but have no recollection of 'signing up' or giving authority to Brooksdale. Now I apparently have a refund on it's way to Brooksdale? Surely there must be a more definite way of establishing a contract that allows them to do this? What level of information are Brooksdale getting access to? I've literally only just got this and have not had chance to contact anyone (yet) to see what I can do...
Posted Fri, 06 May 2022 11:31:52 GMT by JYB Bischoff
Hi I have just had the same letter and I am trying to contact Brooksdale as I speak (been waiting for 30 mins and counting). I did sign up with them regarding claiming tax back from PPI claims however there was nothing in that signing that stated any tax refunds not related to PPI would go through them and HMRC have always sent a cheque directly to me in the past. This is all weird and if I get to speak to anyone (I am also going to e-mail them) or indeed get anything from them I will be sure to post an update.
Posted Fri, 06 May 2022 11:47:10 GMT by JYB Bischoff
OK Guys - Just spoken to Brooksdale. The tax refund for myself is because Brooksdale made a claim on my behalf (which is what I signed up for with them) in relation to my PPI claims back in 2018/19. The cheque has gone to them and once they have taken their cut of 48% ! they will send me a cheque for the balance. I don't know if all of you on here are in the same boat as me and have made PPI claims in the past but that is why Brookdales are involved. If HMRC owe you tax on your personal taxable earnings etc I don't believe they would send any refund through an agent but just my view. Hope this helps some of you out there
Posted Mon, 09 May 2022 14:15:48 GMT by Polly57
Hi I have same problem . I contacted Brooksdale who told me I would not of got a refund if they had not applied for it. They also said it was Claims guys who passed my details to them umm ,. I don't recall allowing this to happen in Nov when they said Isentfinger print authorisation. I am waiting to speak to HMRC at the moment . All seems odd
Posted Mon, 27 Jun 2022 15:58:06 GMT by RBBush2022
Hi same here. I did make a claim with the Claims Guys for a PPI refund but, despite what Brooksdale Ltd tell you I like many others it would seem Have been somehow been put into an agreement for them to claim any tax overpayment on my behalf. I think as a former records manager, that you shouldn't take a companies word that an agreement has been made with them and that you should check with the person who made the overpayment. Probably you really need to stop dealing with this company altogether as it seems unfair that this is continuing to happen (I see some of these comments go back a number of years). No wonder everyone on here is angry, you are just taking their word that an agreement was made without checking with the other side of said agreement. Disgusting way to carry on. In the past you would just write to me if I overpaid but this time you just believed a company that I've never heard of.
Posted Wed, 29 Jun 2022 13:13:44 GMT by Rosalind Adams
I definitely don't recall signing anything about general tax overpayments going through this company - but I've had a letter similar to everyone here saying my income tax overpayment is going to them. I did use The Claims Guys for my PPI about 5/6 years ago, so assume this is why this agreement is in place. I really don't want this company I haven't directly appointed to see or in any way have sight of or manage my tax affairs. Has anyone managed to speak to HMRC/Brooksdale about getting this agreement changed or terminated?

You must be signed in to post in this forum.