Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 09 Oct 2023 05:58:37 GMT by
Since we have some foreign interest / dividends and are not self employed, me and my wife filled in the SA1 form in mid Jun 2023 so as to obtain the UTR number and apply for spilt year treatment for filing self assessment. However, we cannot receive any, We have tried both online and paper form, but we still cannot get any number yet. Can HMRC advise how I can file the self assessment on time if I continuously not receiving the UTR number?
Posted Thu, 19 Oct 2023 07:45:38 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Yin Fai Chan,
To file a Self Assessment you will need a UTR.
If you have not yet receved this you will need to contact HMRC to review.
Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 19 Oct 2023 08:14:27 GMT by
I have use the online chat several time, the answer is that we do not need to file a tax return if we have check at "Check if you need to file a tax return". However, in that checking test, there is no questions related to foreign interest / dividend, as such, it told us we do not need to file a tax return. Is that true?
Posted Wed, 25 Oct 2023 16:13:16 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Yin Fai Chan,
If your only foreign income is dividends under £300 then a tax return is not required.
If you have foreign interest, you need a tax return irrespective of the amount.
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 26 Oct 2023 09:20:54 GMT by
So, what can we do as I consistently cannot get the UTR?
Posted Thu, 02 Nov 2023 08:44:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Yin Fai Chan,
If you have registered for a UTR but not received it, you will need to contact HMRC to review:
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 02 Nov 2023 09:06:40 GMT by
I have already contacted but they cannot reply to me. Who else I can seek help?
Posted Fri, 10 Nov 2023 09:07:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Yin Fai Chan,
If you submitted your registration and still not received the UTR the options would be to resubmit the registration or contact HMRC direct to review this for you.
Self Assessment: general enquiries.
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 10 Nov 2023 09:25:25 GMT by
I and my wife have re-submitted 3 times online already.. I have just tried physical form. Can you check whether your SA-1 online form is normal?
Posted Mon, 20 Nov 2023 10:54:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 32
Hi,

The SA1 online form will register you for Self Assessment is you meet the Self Assessment criteria. If you have not yet received your UTR you will need to contact our Self Assessment team to check on the progress.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.