Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 01 Jan 2024 20:36:15 GMT by
For tax year 2022/23 I have a small balance to pay by 31 January 2024. I meet the rules for this to be deducted automatically by HMRC, and I have requested in my SA that the balance be paid in this way. I submitted my tax return on 30 December 2023. Should I expect HMRC to update my online account before 31 January 2024 to confirm that the balance will be deducted automatically through my tax code and that I don't have to pay it myself by the deadline? When will this happen and where in my Online Account will this confirmation appear? If I get no such message or confirmation before 31 January 2024, should I instead pay the balance myself before 31 Jan to avoid incurring a penalty?
Posted Wed, 03 Jan 2024 17:05:18 GMT by thelegendofyrag
I should think you will get confirmation of this yes as you submitted on the day of the deadline for tax owed to be taken through PAYE. (30th December) This is purley my understanding based on the deadlines on HMRC site.
Posted Wed, 10 Jan 2024 09:52:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi

As long as your 2022/23 Self Assessment was submitted by 30 December and processed by 31 December and the balance due is less than £3000, and you have a PAYE source with high enough income to collect the balance, we will update your record to collect in the code.
If this has not yet been updated you will need to contact HMRC to review.
Details of how to contact HMRC can be found at Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.