Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 18 Jul 2023 10:33:05 GMT by jrtpowers
I am self employed but was signed off work for most of the 22/23 tax year with a hand injury, what do I do about my tax return?

[Display name changed]
Posted Mon, 24 Jul 2023 07:52:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

If your gross profit from self employment was over £1000.00, then you will need to submit a self assessment tax return.  
You can check if a tax return is required here
Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return 
You may also need to consider voluntary class 2 NIC, if your profit is below the threshold of £6725 and your payments on account, if any.
If you do not need to complete a tax return, you will need to contact the self assessment webchat facility which you can find here
Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you
Posted Mon, 24 Jul 2023 08:19:57 GMT by jrtpowers
I also should have added that I claimed on my private health insurance which pairs me while I wasn’t working so I need to know what to do?
Posted Thu, 27 Jul 2023 15:32:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi jrtpowers,
Payments from private health insurance plans are not taxable.
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 27 Jul 2023 15:38:14 GMT by Chellaton NAMBIAR
How do I post my query

You must be signed in to post in this forum.