Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 14 Mar 2024 15:21:26 GMT by Whol Petg
Hi, I did paper Self Assessment Return for Y2022/2023. It is first time I did Self Assessment Return in UK. And I opened Government Gateway Account already. Q1. For the Y2023/2024, I would like to do the Self Assessment Return online. Is it just fill in it under "Personal Account"? And do I need the activation code? What is activation code for? And how do I get it? Q2. For the Y2022/2023, my company is using PAYE and deducted the National Insurance. Is it I suppose to be able to view the record on line? And where can I see the record. It is because I cannot see it from online. Thanks
Posted Wed, 20 Mar 2024 14:32:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

If you meet the Self Assessment criteria for 2023 to 2024 then depending on the reason why you need to file the Self Assessment you can file the tax return online. You can see guidance here:

File your Self Assessment tax return online

On your personal tax account (PTA), if you select the Self Assessment tab this will allow you to enrol to file online. Once enrolled an activation code will be sent to you by post. Once received you can log in to file the tax return. To view your PAYE income you select the PAYE tab on your PTA. 

Thank you.
Posted Thu, 21 Mar 2024 11:42:54 GMT by Whol Petg
Hi If I would like to find my National Insurance contribution record for Y2022/2023(I don't have any "voluntary contributions" before), can I find it online? I cannot found any contribution record under perseonal tax account(PTA). Thanks
Posted Tue, 09 Apr 2024 09:06:02 GMT by HMRC Admin 21
Hi Whol Petg,
If you have paid Voluntary Class 2 NICs for the 2022-23 Tax year and it is not reflected on your PTA there may be a problem, I would advise you to contact the National Insurance helpline on 0300 200 3500 who will be able to help.
Thank you.
Posted Tue, 09 Apr 2024 09:21:56 GMT by Sol3fer Fernandez
Hi I was offered a job as a freelance interpreter in May for two hours, they will pay me £37.50. It's my first job as a freelance. Should I register for Self assessment? When do I have to file the tax return? Thanks
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2024 08:09:59 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Sol3fer Fernandez,
If your gross income from self employment is less then £1000 then you do not need to register for Self Assessment.
You can check if you need to register here:
Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.