Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 17 Jun 2024 15:57:40 GMT by Paul Sandie
I have received reimbursed expenses from my employer via payroll for travel, accommodation and subsistence. As those appear on my payslips as expenses I have added those as expense payments received when filling in my online self assessment. The amount appearing on my payslips is the total amount paid both by me and to me. In adding that on self assessment as I have that is then added to my total income received, and is therefore taxed. It doesn't seem right that I should be taxed on those expenses. Presumably I should receive a year end P11D detailing these expenses. Is it likely that the P11D will provide information that might somehow allow me to reclaim the tax on these expenses ?
Posted Fri, 21 Jun 2024 12:34:30 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

If the expenses were taxed through payroll then you do not need to declare them separately on your Self Assessment.
If not taxed through the payroll then you should receive a P11d from your employer.
If allowable expenses then you can then claim relief back on the employment section of your tax return.

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 28 Jun 2024 16:48:23 GMT by Paul Sandie
These are allowable expenses, I have not received P11D. My understanding is that these expenses are not taxable so would not appear on any P11D. They should be paid to me with tax and NI relief automatically. The amount for expenses on my payslips matches what I personally paid. I think I should simply not have declared these expenses on self assessment, and should now rectify that.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.