Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 15 Apr 2024 13:59:42 GMT by DorotheeP
Hello I am self employed and do online self assessment, please can you answer the following in regards to is tax due is this reported as income ? Cashback on buying items using a site like topcashback ? Cashback on ISA contributions ( Just found out that any ISA payments I make this tax year I can get 1% cashback which goes into general account ) Cashback on mortgage am buying a property and have had a mortgage offer which includes cashback when I complete the purchase ( the cashback is not reason for choosing the mortgage the advisor just recommended that product ) For the 1st case looking about £50 a year cashback the 2nd probably be about £10 this financial year and the last is £250 Thankyou for your help
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2024 09:29:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 32 Response
Hi,

Please refer to guidance at:

SAIM8020 - Annual payments: meaning of annual payment

Thank you.
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2024 16:20:54 GMT by DorotheeP
I am sorry that does not help me much, this is cashback on purchases it is not an annual payment I only receive cashback if I buy an item via a cashback website, I don't have to subscribe or pay a fee to cashback website I just get cashback if I purchase item through the website. They are on off transactions. As for the mortgage cash back if I take out the mortgage and complete that is a one off payment. Please can you advise on these exact scenarios ? In the list of example they are closest to example 3 which says not annual payments as payment only received if further purchases made https://www.gov.uk/hmrc-internal-manuals/savings-and-investment-manual/saim8050 Thankyou
Posted Tue, 30 Apr 2024 12:37:17 GMT by HMRC Admin 19 Response
Hi,

You can see guidance here:

Statement of Practice 4 (1997)

SAIM8020 - Annual payments: meaning of annual payment

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.