Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 03 Jul 2023 17:27:43 GMT by
I am currently trying to complete a self assessment form to pay a child benefit higher tax charge. My income before tax is 62390. My income after tax is 53544. My employer pension contributions total 5817.42 for the tax year. I claimed 9 months of child benefit before ending it because my earnings went over the 60K threshold. According to the online HMRC child benefit tax calculator I owe £344. According to HMRC self assessment the total amount due is £1723.80. As you can imagine this is very confusing. I had no problems with the system last tax year. I do not understand what the issue is this year. Can anyone advise? I have input my salary as the gross pay minus pension contributions, following guidance on HMRC forums. I have input the tax deducted beneath this amount as instructed on the form. What is going on?
Posted Tue, 04 Jul 2023 17:36:15 GMT by
You cannot deduct either income or employER pension contributions when calculating your tax liability. Your Self Assessment return establishes any tax owed including any High Income Child Benefit Charge. You might want to check you have completed the return correctly. Or post sufficient detail for someone to be able to help.
Posted Mon, 10 Jul 2023 07:45:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi PussPuss

If you have submitted the return, you can contact our Self Assessment team by webchat and we can view the calculation and advise accordingly.

Details can be found here  Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.