Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 24 May 2024 10:43:19 GMT by Stefano Lazzarato
Hello, For the first time I am completing the tax calculation from rent income of my residential property, and I need to include maintenance costs from the management company. The problem is that the management company gets paid and give invoices with a different cadence compared to the UK tax year: In March I pay for the period April-September. In September I pay for the period October-March. This means that in the tax calculation for year 2023-2024 I should claim what I paid in March 2023, still in the previous tax year. Can I do this? Or I should claim the expenses paid in March 2024, even if they refer to a period in tax year 2024-2025? Please help. Thanks and regards, 

Name removed admin .
Posted Wed, 29 May 2024 13:53:21 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
April to September and October to March is the UK tax year. Add both together and enter in your tax return for that year.
Posted Wed, 29 May 2024 14:00:37 GMT by Stefano Lazzarato
Hello, thanks for your reply. My problem is that in year tax 2023-2024 (March) I would be paying for the management costs for tax year 2024-2025 (from April onwards). And similarly I paid in last tax year (March) for the management costs for this tax year (April to September). Can I ignore this? Should I just claim all the expenses incurred this tax year independently from the period of the service paid for? Thanks, regards.
Posted Tue, 04 Jun 2024 08:21:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 5 Response
Hi Stefano Lazzarato

No. As both payments have been paid in March these fall into separate tax years so you will claim them in the tax year that they were paid.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.