Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 13 Sep 2023 19:47:22 GMT by Rengoku
For the year 2022/23 I have earned a before tax income of around £60000. After my personal allowance is applied this comes down to an after tax amount of just under £48000. For child benefit charge purposes, do I need to send in a self assessment form? Any help would be appreciated please. Thanks.
Posted Thu, 21 Sep 2023 11:03:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Rengoku,

Based on the information you have provided, you are liable to the Child Benefit Tax Charge and would be required to submit a Self Assessment tax return.  
However, you may wish to use our Child Benefit Charge calculator to ensure that all relevant info has been taken into account.                                                         
Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return            
Child Benefit tax calculator

Thank you.
Posted Fri, 20 Oct 2023 18:07:42 GMT by Rengoku
Thanks for the reply. I have been filling in the return as best I can but am finding it confusing. I have no idea whether I am able to deduct my work pension contributions as I'm not sure if they are deducted after tax. Will HMRC check the return? If I have made a mistake and paid back more than I owe, will somebody check my calculations and any additional money be returned to me?
Posted Tue, 31 Oct 2023 09:44:25 GMT by HMRC Admin 19

If you check your payslip and if the contributions are deducted before the tax is calculated then you already have received the relief and you are not able to claim again.

If it is from your net pay then you can make the claim. If you are not sure if the contributions are from gross or net pay then you can check with your payroll department or you can contact HMRC to check your record.

Contact HMRC

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.