Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 26 Sep 2023 22:12:22 GMT by
Hello all, I'm in the middle of a mortgage application and have supplied all my tax docs. I'm fully paid up. Today the broker highlighted that there is a £942 discrepency between the tax that I owed in one of the years on my self-assessment tax calculation and tax overview documents. They said the lender will not proceed unless this has been reconciled. After waiting in a long phone queue, I finally got to speak to an agent. They said that the two documents reconcile on their end and said they can confirm this by post. The problem is that by that time the property will not be reserved. To make matters worse, the call got cut off. The strange thing is, the discrepency is exactly the amount that I was awarded in an SEISS grant in the same year, which my accountant forgot to declare. What are my options here (if any)? Before the call ended, they mentioned that they cannot confirm it by mail, but is there any case where an exception can be made? Any help would be appreciated.
Posted Thu, 05 Oct 2023 10:24:36 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi Asaf Fialkov,

We would need to check your records to review the tax calculation and overview and would only be able to send copies by post.
You would need to contact HMRC to review. Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.

Posted Mon, 05 Aug 2024 21:34:27 GMT by Mihai Maier
Hi. How did you fixed this? Facing same issue please
Posted Thu, 08 Aug 2024 08:42:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Shadab,
It could be that the letter was issued before your name was updated.
If this was not the case then you will need to contact HMRC to review:
Income Tax: general enquiries
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.