Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 04 Mar 2024 14:16:46 GMT by heroicglaedr
Hi, I am a doctor and have realised that I am eligible to deduct certain expenses but I have forgot to do that for FY22/23. I haven't historically filled out a self assessment form. Is there a way to claim eligible expenses for historical years if I do a Self Assessment for FY23/24? Thanks
Posted Thu, 07 Mar 2024 08:24:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi heroicglaedr,
You can send HMRC a letter, outlining the expenses you wish to claim for each year.
If the expenses total is under £2500 in a year, we can process that claim through your regular PAYE record, without the need to file a return for that year.
Expenses claims over £2500 in a year will require a tax return for that year.
Please see guidance here:
Claim tax relief for your job expenses
Extra-Statutory Concessions
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 07 Mar 2024 09:39:26 GMT by heroicglaedr
Many thanks for your reply. I had deductible expenses £2,500 for 2022/23. What is the best way to claim the expenses retroactively? Should I send a letter to HMRC with an itemised list of expenses for each tax year and ask for this to be reimbursed? Do I need to provide individual receipts as well / what is best practice? Kind Regards
Posted Fri, 08 Mar 2024 15:04:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 32

If the expenses are £2500 or more then you will need to complete a Self Assessment to claim the expenses. If not yet registered you can register online at:

Register for Self Assessment if you are not self-employed

If the expenses are below £2500 then you should submit a P87 expenses claim.

Claim tax relief for your job expenses

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.