Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Fri, 18 Aug 2023 15:13:37 GMT by tomhux
Hi I am an employee paying tax through PAYE (with a few £00's of interest per year but no other income). I noticed part way through the tax year that I was only paying basic rate tax so I asked my employer to check my tax code. They did and apparently it was all fine (I called HMRC a couple of times but never got through). I then did my Self Assessment for 22/23 tax year and got the (by now) expected additional tax bill due to only being taxed at basic rate. I also got a demand for payment on account which (now having moved job) equates to over 50% of my gross annual income due to be paid end Jan 2024 and the same again end July 2024. What do I do to let HMRC know and get the payment on account removed as the income and tax paid were an anomaly for 2022/23... I normally pay only PAYE. They seem to have stopped taking calls and the chatbot/digital assistant is more of a search function. Any advice gratefully received! Thanks
Posted Wed, 23 Aug 2023 15:55:18 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi tomhux,

You can amend your payments on account here Understand your Self Assessment tax bill.

Thank you.


You must be signed in to post in this forum.