Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 17 Oct 2023 12:27:09 GMT by
Hi, I work for a foreign company remotely from the UK that deducts WHT from my salary and have a few questions: 1. During 2021/2022, the WHT deducted (£1,539) was greater than my UK tax liability (£214) and therefore I paid no tax, only NI dues. Is it possible to claim the difference (£1,325) against my 2022/2023 UK tax liability? 2. I use a room in my parents home as an office. I pay them £100 monthly in cash to cover any expenses. There is no formal agreement nor documentation between us. Can I claim this as an allowable expense? 3. I had to fly to meet my employer at my cost. I assume I can claim this as a business expense. Thank you, Sean
Posted Thu, 19 Oct 2023 13:29:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi seanhalsing,

1) No.  unused foreign tax credits cannot be carried forward.                    
2) Yes, you would be able to claim this as an expense.  Have a look at Expenses if you're self-employed
2) Provided your employer does not re-imburse you for the travel, you can claim this as a job expenses.  You would be required to retain evidence of the travel costs.  Have a look at Claim tax relief for your job expenses.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.