Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 15 Feb 2024 22:31:20 GMT by
I am a basic rate self employed worker who has started making lump sum payments into an existing personal pension scheme. The pension provider adds the pension relief to the contribution. Do I need to declare the contributions on my self assessment form? I get conflicting advice online: No - you deduct the contribution from gross salary and that becomes your actual gross/taxable salary Yes - you still do this but declare it on self assessment. On a £40,000 income, with £10,000 pension contributions, I was assuming gross/taxable pay is £30,000.
Posted Tue, 20 Feb 2024 12:17:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

If you are a basic rate taxpayer and your employer is claiming tax relief at source, then you do not need to declare your contributions on your return.

Posted Tue, 20 Feb 2024 12:38:25 GMT by
Hi, I am a basic rate taxpayer, but I am also self employed. So I am making lump sum payments into a personal pension.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.