Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 11 Jan 2024 19:49:59 GMT by
I PAYE but have filled out a self assessment as I now earn £50,980 so have to pay the higher earnings child benefit charge. After filling out the self assessment I was advised that the charge was £237. It is also telling me I have to pay £138 in tax. I am perplexed as to why this is given I am paye and actually got a £17 rebate for 2022-2023. Why would this be? Thank you
Posted Thu, 18 Jan 2024 12:30:12 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi AJW69,
We would need to access your record to check on the difference in the calculation.
You can contact HMRC Self Assessment: general enquiries
Thank you.
Posted Thu, 18 Jan 2024 12:47:03 GMT by
Thank you for the reply. I have already spoken to the self assessment team and the advice was to pay it all otherwise I will incur penalty charges and then try and claim it back at a later date. Not particularly helpful as once paid I expect I will never see that money again!!

You must be signed in to post in this forum.