Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 01 Jul 2023 18:27:10 GMT by I
I have arrived in the UK via the British National (Overseas) visa scheme for Hong Kong people. All Hong Kong employees have to contribute to the Mandatory Provident Funds (Deleted by Admin) which is Hong Kong's version of pension. Since the Hong Kong government does not allow people to get early paid-out from Mandatory Provident Funds using the reason of moving abroad via the British National (Overseas) visa channel, the pension funds is not paid out to me now (and will likely only be paid out to me when I reach 65 years old). Therefore, I only have the pension and there is, technically, no income yet (until I'm 65 or until the Hong Kong government allows us to get early paid-out). Do I need to declare this in any section of the self-assessment tax returns and if so, which section?
Posted Fri, 07 Jul 2023 07:08:57 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi I

This income is only liable in Hong Kong and should not be declared in the UK.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.