Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 22 Oct 2023 21:50:36 GMT by S Chung
Hi HRMC admin, I arrived in the UK on 15 June 2022 from Hong Kong using a BNO visa. I notified my previous employer of resignation from Hong Kong’s employment before coming to the UK, and the last working date of my Hong Kong’s employment was 2 March 2022. On this last working date of employment, I had accrued about five months of vacation leave. In this connection, I was paid salary up to and including 2 August 2022 (paid to my bank account in Hong Kong on monthly basis in the end of each month from March 2022 to August 2022), and the effective date of my resignation from the employment was 3 August 2022 after exhausting all my pre-resignation leave commencing on 3 March 2022. Such salary income (i.e. paid pre-resignation leave) was related to employment and work carried out in Hong Kong before I came to the UK. This salary income has been taxed in Hong Kong. I would like to ask whether the above salary income (i.e. paid pre-resignation leave) from my previous job in Hong Kong (the whole or part of the paid pre-resignation leave) is taxable in the UK. Thank you for your attention. Regards, S Chung
Posted Thu, 26 Oct 2023 09:59:20 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi S Chung,

Under the terms of the double taxation treaty, as the income is for 'work' that was carried out in Hong Kong, you do not need to report this income in the UK.

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.