Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 13 Nov 2023 17:05:13 GMT by DavidA5235 Astles
Hi I am self employed and return a self assessment each year, currently my earnings are minimal and do not reach the tax free allowance. I have just taken a pension small pot lump sum which has been paid net of tax, as expected. I presume the tax that has been taken from the pot will be returned to me-eventually, but how do I claim it to receive the refund sooner? ie, before my next tax return in mid 2024. I have tried to complete a P53 form to request the refund, but cannot do this because I cannot find either a P45 or P60 for a pension paye reference. Thanks
Posted Tue, 14 Nov 2023 17:53:48 GMT by
Even once you have done the self assessment it could be months without hearing anything. I filed a gew days after the 2022-2023 tax year to try to get the £thousands i am owed asap. So far still no sign of being able to get any of the money. And unlike us when we are late there will be no interest from HMRC or fine for them to pay. Going out of my mind as need it for a deposit on a house.
Posted Wed, 15 Nov 2023 15:19:14 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi 

You can still use the P53 form to claim the repayment as long as you have something to show the pension payment received.
You will need to estimate your self employment income for the correct refund to be calculated so that we can issue the refund before the tax return is due.

Thank You

Posted Wed, 15 Nov 2023 16:46:53 GMT by DavidA5235 Astles
Thanks, I think the situation has resolved itself now and I can make the formal application. I had not received a P 45 from the pension provider, nor did I know that they should provide one. Anyway, I have got the document now so can complete the application. HMRC, please note that the P53 form is misleading because it does not say to use estimates for current years earnings, interest payments etc. Thanks again.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.