Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 11 May 2023 23:32:04 GMT by CP
Hi, the only incomes I have for the tax year 2022-23 are interests from savings (~GBP3,400) and dividends from shares (~GBP1,600) kept in some banks in Hong Kong. I do not have to pay any tax on these incomes in Hong Kong. Would you please advise : (a) whether I need to submit a self assessment; and (b) if yes, under which form/section/page should I provide these income figures. Many thaHnks for your help!
Posted Thu, 18 May 2023 16:12:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi CP,

Please note that UK residents who receive overseas income are required to complete a Self Assessment Tax return.
Interest in excess of £2000 should be entered in the Foreign pages (under 'Interest and other income from overseas savings'.
Foreign dividends under £2000 can be entered in the main body of the tax return (under 'Dividends').                  
Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return                                 
Tax Return notes          

Thank you.                   
Posted Tue, 26 Sep 2023 23:28:29 GMT by CP
Thanks for the reply earlier. I just realised that apart from dividends and interest generated in my bank accounts in Hong Kong, I also had some interest incomes (~£2,500) generated from my savings in the UK. As such, please advise which part of the self assessment tax return should I enter the UK savings interest? Many thanks again for your help.
Posted Wed, 04 Oct 2023 06:20:54 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi CP,
The UK interest should be declared on the SA100 at page TR5.
Guidance on how to complete the return is here:
Tax Return notes Tax year 6 April 2022 to 5 April 2023 (2022–23)
Thank you. 
Posted Wed, 22 May 2024 16:10:35 GMT by CP
For the tax year 2023-24, suppose I have the following sources of income: 1. dividend from shares held in Hong Kong: ~ GBP 2,500 2. interests from savings held in the UK: ~ GBP 9,000 3. interests from savings held in Hong Kong: ~ GBP 8,000 And I do not have any other income either in the UK or elsewhere. I do not have to pay tax in Hong Kong for the above incomes. Grateful to know whether I need to pay tax in the UK for the above incomes and if so, how much and how it is calculated. Many thanks for your advice.
Posted Tue, 28 May 2024 09:43:01 GMT by HMRC Admin 21
Hi CP,
As you are in receipt of foreign income, you are required to complete a self assessment tax retur, where you will declare all of your world-wide income.  This included the sources of income included in your question, as they are taxable in the UK.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.