Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 05 Nov 2023 23:23:30 GMT by
Hi, I moved to Uk on 1st June 2023, before this I was in Canada working as off payroll through my own corporation. I ended my contract in May2023 but my corporation stays dormant and will close in the end of 2023 when Canadian tax year ends and we file last return. I will close my corporation’s bank account too in 2023 end. Please note I paid all Canadian tax and will file my last Canadian return in Mar 2024 which is the deadline in Canada. Also, I sold my Canadian house in May 2023. If I apply for split year treatment then do I need to pay foreign tax on the dividends/income I got from my corporation in May 2023. Also, any tax on capital gains from the house sale in Canada. Thanks in advance.
Posted Thu, 09 Nov 2023 09:00:05 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Skad,
If you qualify for split year then you only report any foreign income for the UK part of the year RDRM12000 - Residence: The SRT: Split year treatment.
If you do not qualify then you will need to report all your foreign income to the UK Tax on foreign income.  
The guidance at RDRM12150 will help you work out if split year treatment applies. 
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.