Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Mon, 01 Jul 2024 14:20:38 GMT by unusualtitle
Hi, Last year I earned over the 50,000 threshold (over 60,000 in fact) and am required to pay back Child Benefit for the two children my Wife claims for and are living with us. Whilst getting things in order, I noticed that the 2 children from my previous relationship are still under my name, but the benefit is going to my ex partners account. I have not been receiving the child benefit for those 2 children, which is fine. The account its going to is solely her own account. We updated the account back in 2016 when we seperated so that it was paid to her. I am wanting to do a tax return to pay the child benefit my wife and i have received for the 2 children that live with me. How do I sort this so that I am not going to be asked to pay back money I havent received for the 2 children from the previous relationship? Thanks
Posted Thu, 04 Jul 2024 08:22:13 GMT by HMRC Admin 20 Response
Hi,
You would only declare the child benefit for the 2 children that your wife is currently receiving child benefit payments for on your Self Assessment.
To check that the details have been updated for your previous partner you will need to contact the child benefit department
Child Benefit: general enquiries
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.