Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 20 Jan 2024 16:53:03 GMT by
Hello, CASE - I am also mid-year UK arrival. I started my employment on 5 June 2023. So, for the tax year 23/24 I qualify as UK tax resident. Ever since I was employed, my employer would communicate with HMRC and deduct tax and NIS from my salary under the PAYE every moth. Before I moved to the UK (particularly from 1 January until 30 April 2023) , I was employed in EU country where I paid tax under the PAYE system just like in the UK. Question - Do I need to use self-assessment despite having to already paid tax in both countries under the PAYE?
Posted Wed, 24 Jan 2024 11:37:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi RayP,
Yes, you need a tax return either to declare your world wide income and tax paid or to claim split year treatment, where you would declare split year treatment applies and declare your UK employment income and tax deucted.
Thank you. 

Posted Thu, 25 Jan 2024 22:49:18 GMT by
Can you please advise on what forms I will have to fill in and when will they be available for the year 23/24? Also, do I need to translate Czech tax return to English?Nowadays, when the translation can be done even when holding a phone over document?
Posted Wed, 31 Jan 2024 17:18:23 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi RayP,
23/24 tax forms will not be available until after 06/04/24 and the forms will need to be submitted in English.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.