Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sat, 29 Jun 2024 02:10:48 GMT by Esmond CHAN
I have registered my first time government gateway recently and got an confirmation email on 20 Jun 2024, everything is OK including my name is correct, but last day when I go to apply UTR number, it was rejected by HMRC by reason "we cannot confirm your identity as the information you gave us does not match our records", so that I login my gateway and discovered that my name is wrong, I know there is a "Change" button for update my records, but actually I haven't change my name, no date of change or any statutory document can be provided or prove my changes, I will be very apprepriated if anyone can tell me how to correct my name in the profile.
Posted Thu, 04 Jul 2024 05:30:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Esmond,
You can use your Personal Tax Account (PTA) to change your name:
Personal tax account: sign in or set up
Select 'Your profile' from the top line of the PTA home page after you have signed in.
Select 'name change' link.
Select 'start now'.
You select 'Change of name' under change of circumstances.
Select 'Save and continue'.
Thank you. 
Posted Thu, 04 Jul 2024 06:14:36 GMT by Esmond CHAN
Thanks for your reply, but how can I input the date of name change, actually I haven't change my name, my intension is to amend my name back to correct, or this function can be used to make correction purpose ?
Posted Mon, 08 Jul 2024 11:58:55 GMT by HMRC Admin 10 Response
Hi
Yes this can be used to correct your name and this will then update on to our different department systems. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.