Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 16 Jan 2024 22:55:47 GMT by
I've registered as sole-trader and created a UTR for self assessment for 2022-2023. I'm going to stop the sole-trader work in 2023-2024 but I still get other income to be filed through self-assessment in the coming years. Should I inform HMRC that I stopped working as sole-trader? Will it affect the UTR which is needed for future self-assessment?
Posted Fri, 19 Jan 2024 08:12:50 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Lam,
When you complete the return for 23/24, you will show the date you ceased on the self employed section.
This will not affect the UTR as you will continue to use the same one.
Thank you.
Posted Fri, 26 Jan 2024 20:38:07 GMT by From the link above, I learnt that one should tell HMRC about stop trading as sole trader. In my situation, should I fill in this link as well?
Posted Wed, 31 Jan 2024 08:10:53 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi Lamy,
Yes you should.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.