Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 09 Nov 2023 12:24:09 GMT by Lai Man Lau
I have terminated my insurance before I immigrated to United Kingdom. However, my cash loan was transferred to my bank a few days after I have landed in UK. Do I need to apply self -assessment for this cash loan?
Posted Fri, 10 Nov 2023 15:24:32 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
This would be classed as income prior to arrival.
If you are claiming split year treatment you would not include this in your return.
Posted Thu, 16 Nov 2023 11:10:13 GMT by Lai Man Lau
Thanks for your reply. If I didn't apply split year treatment, then what I should do? Can I apply split year treatment now? Is it required for me to have this in my self-assessment? Here is more information for your reference: I have terminated my insurance at the beginning of March in 2022 and received the cash loan on 17 April 2022.
Posted Fri, 17 Nov 2023 15:58:35 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Lai Man Lau,
If you qualify for split year then you only report any foreign income for the UK part of the year RDRM12000 - Residence: The SRT: Split year treatment.
If you do not qualify then you will need to report all your foreign income to the UK Tax on foreign income.  
The guidance at RDRM12150  will help you work out if split year treatment applies. 
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.