Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Wed, 20 Sep 2023 13:52:50 GMT by
Good afternoon HMRC, Apologies I have tried to find a thread but I am new to this community and a find it slightly overwhelming. My question if I may: For the tax year 2022-2023 I was employed and tax was deducted via the payroll. My personal savings interest which I have accrued from bank/NS&I is below the 10K threshold. So based on the questionnaire as my pay/savings were below 50K in total I do not need to complete a self assessment form or do anything? If I need to pay any additional tax HMRC will contact me via my HMRC account as the bank/NS&I advise you of interest. Thank you for assistance and patience. Brgds Jasmin
Posted Fri, 29 Sep 2023 15:22:44 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Jasmin S,

You are correct in concluding that you don't have to complete a Self Assessment tax return.  
Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return   
Detailed information on the tax rules re: savings interest is provided here:
Tax on savings interest

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 07 Jan 2024 01:00:25 GMT by
Hi HRMC Admin, How can we report the untax saving interest if saving interest is under 10K?
Posted Mon, 15 Jan 2024 10:51:46 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

Your bank and building societies will report your untaxed interest details after the tax year has ended to HMRC and if you do not complete a Self Assessment tax return we will review your records and issue a calculation if tax is underpaid or overpaid.  

Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.