Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 19 Nov 2023 23:06:16 GMT by Elizabeth Valero
I am finishing a freelance role in December and starting a part time PAYE role around the same time. I hope to undertake more freelance work alongside the PAYE role, but have nothing lined up as yet so the PAYE role may be my only job for a while. I also receive income from a rental property. My question is, for the PAYE payroll form's employment status question, do I tick: B- This is now my only job but since 6 April I have had another job, or received taxable Jobseeker’s Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance or taxable Incapacity Benefit, I do not receive a State Pension or Occupational Pension ...; OR C- As well as my new job, I have another job or receive a State Pension or Occupational Pension. This is your second job and form or form of income... I am aware that I will need to include the PAYE income on next year's tax return. Thank you in advance.
Posted Tue, 21 Nov 2023 17:18:52 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
Freelance work (self employment) and income from property are different to employment income.  
The payroll form is only asking you about employment.  
They don't need to know about the other sources of income you have, so if this is your only employment or your first employment in the tax year, you tick the options for that.
Posted Tue, 21 Nov 2023 18:30:16 GMT by Elizabeth Valero
Thanks for your reply. I actually called HMRC yesterday and was told to tick B. However, given what you have said, I should have ticked: A- This is my first job since last 6 April and I have not been receiving taxable Jobseeker’s Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance, taxable Incapacity Benefit, State Pension or Occupational Pension. Please advise which is correct, A or B.
Posted Wed, 22 Nov 2023 13:25:03 GMT by HMRC Admin 10
Hi
As its your first PAYE job, tick A.
Posted Wed, 22 Nov 2023 13:31:16 GMT by Elizabeth Valero
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.