Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• RE: Mortgage reimbursement

Thank you, much appreciated.
  • Eye test

Quick question, does the cost of an eye test come under 'Other expenses'? Thanks in advance.
  • Mortgage reimbursement

I received a cheque from the bank I had my mortgage with last year for a mistake they made with my monthly payments, namely they did not "set [my] contractual monthly payment high enough to repay [my] mortgage in full within the agreed term. This meant that [my] balance didn't reduce as quickly as it should and [I] paid more interest as a result." As a standard rate tax payer, I need to mention the amount of interest the bank has paid and the amount of tax they have deducted on my S.A. tax return. Please can you tell me where on the return which figures should go. There are 5 figures/amounts on the letter: Redress amount Gross interest Basic rate tax paid on gross interest Net interest (after tax is paid) Total refund Thank you in advance.
  • Property expense categories

Hi, I'm struggling to know what categories to put a few expenses under on my tax return. They are as follows: 1. Lightbulbs and a damaged light fitting/ceiling lamp replaced in between tenants, is this 'Property repairs and maintenance' or 'Costs of replacing domestic items'? 2. Pest control to sort squirrels that came down the chimney (paid via the agency) during tenancy, is this 'Property repairs and maintenance' or 'Legal, management or professional' (as it was paid to the agency)? 3. Replacement of the chimney cowl to prevent more squirrels coming down the chimney (paid via the agency) during tenancy, is this 'Property repairs and maintenance' or 'Legal, management or professional' (as it was paid to the agency)? 4. Landlord gas safety inspection and boiler service classed, is this classed as 'Property repairs and maintenance'? 5. VAX carpet washer to wash carpets between tenants, is this classed as 'Property repairs and maintenance'? Also, should I put all expenses (bar those classed as Costs of replacing domestic items) as a lump sum under Other allowable expenses, as income receipts are well below the £85k VAT threshold. Any help would be gratefully appreciated. Thanks in advance,