Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

• £1,000 tax-free allowances

I notice the tax free allowances (one for property and one for self employment) are for up to 1,000. My question is, do I need to put the exact figure spent in the box or can I just enter £1,000. Thank you in advance.
  • Are membership and training course costs an allowable expense?

Hi, I am looking at taking out a membership with an organisation that is highly relevant to the freelance work I do and signing up for one of its training courses. Is it possible to put these down as expenses and, if so, would they come under 'other allowable business expenses'?
  • RE: PAYE, freelance and property income

Thank you.
  • RE: PAYE, freelance and property income

Thanks for your reply. I actually called HMRC yesterday and was told to tick B. However, given what you have said, I should have ticked: A- This is my first job since last 6 April and I have not been receiving taxable Jobseeker’s Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance, taxable Incapacity Benefit, State Pension or Occupational Pension. Please advise which is correct, A or B.
  • PAYE, freelance and property income

I am finishing a freelance role in December and starting a part time PAYE role around the same time. I hope to undertake more freelance work alongside the PAYE role, but have nothing lined up as yet so the PAYE role may be my only job for a while. I also receive income from a rental property. My question is, for the PAYE payroll form's employment status question, do I tick: B- This is now my only job but since 6 April I have had another job, or received taxable Jobseeker’s Allowance, Employment and Support Allowance or taxable Incapacity Benefit, I do not receive a State Pension or Occupational Pension ...; OR C- As well as my new job, I have another job or receive a State Pension or Occupational Pension. This is your second job and form or form of income... I am aware that I will need to include the PAYE income on next year's tax return. Thank you in advance.