Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Sun, 16 Jul 2023 00:34:19 GMT by Av2015
Hi, for the 2021-2022 tax year I was calculated via PAYE as paying too much income tax and was issued with a small refund (after the end of the tax year). Due to a change in circumstances I was then required to register for self assessment and then also completed a self-assessment return for 2021-2022. The self-assessment also recognised I was due the same refund for the 2021-22 tax year, and has stayed as credit on my self assessment account, even though I have already been paid the refund through the PAYE method. I assumed this would resolve itself, but it has not, and I did not think I could include it in the self assessment return at the time, as the refund was paid after the end of the 21-22 tax year had ended. I am unsure of the best way to resolve this - if there is a way to do this through the self assessment mechanism through amending the 21-22 entry, or including somewhere in the 22-23 entry (as far as I can tell, there doesn't seem to be) or if HMRC must be contacted to remove the credit on the self assessment account. Many thanks.
Posted Fri, 21 Jul 2023 11:20:33 GMT by HMRC Admin 5

You can amend the 21/22 return. There is a section which asks if you have already had tax refunded for the year by HMRC or the Job Centre. The amount should be entered there.

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.