Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 16 May 2024 22:59:55 GMT by Stephen Clarke-Keating
I need to complete a self assessment tax return for 2023/24. At the start of that financial year I was still an employee and was made redundant and received a PILON payment that meant I paid a significant amount of tax at the time as it took me into the highest tax threshold. After 4 weeks, I applied for a refund of some tax and confirmed that I would not be returning to employment within the same financial year, which I did not. I started working as a private hire taxi driver in Sept 2023. I have all my income and expenses accounted for with detailed mileage logs so I can apportion the relevant parts of my expenses accordingly (fuel and maintenance etc). I am unsure as to how to deal with the tax refund from my employment PAYE if anything. It doesn't exist in my PAYE tax summary at all. The amount of tax shown in that section is the same as on my P45 from when that employment ended. But I had a refund over just over £4000. Surely that should be visible in my tax summary for the year or be adjusted in the figure showing the tax I paid?
Posted Wed, 22 May 2024 09:44:15 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Stephen,
To include your refund figure in your 23/24 tax calculation, enter this figure in the box that reads 'tax already refunded or set off'  - box 1 on page TR6.
Alternatively, contact us by webchat or phone via Self Assessment: general enquiries to allow us to update your return.
Thank you.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.