Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 26 Oct 2023 17:39:12 GMT by
Hello, sir In one financial year, I received 6,800 pounds in term deposit interest and my working income was 9,000 pounds. Do I still need to fill in a tax return? Although the result of my "check if you need to send a tax return" on the government website shows "You do not need to send a Self Assessment tax return", as a new immigrant I am not sure about my situation. Is this answer appropriate?
Posted Wed, 01 Nov 2023 07:19:08 GMT by HMRC Admin 25
Hi yanyan,
If your term deposit interest is overseas income, then yes, you meet the criteria for completing a Self Assessment tax return.
Thank you, 
Posted Thu, 02 Nov 2023 16:00:45 GMT by
Hello, sirs First of all, thank you for your reply. Maybe my description of my tax situation is not detailed enough. I will add the following. This fiscal year, I have 6,800 pounds of interest income from fixed deposits in local banks in the UK and 9,000 pounds of work income (salary through PAYE), which is a total income of 15,800 pounds for the entire fiscal year (6,800+9,000). There is no other income from the UK or overseas. I conducted a self-assessment through the "Check if you need to send a Self Assessment tax return" on the government website, and the result showed "You do not need to send a Self Assessment tax return." However, since I am a new immigrant, I cannot According to the secret law, some fellow villagers say that tax returns must be filled out in any situation, while others say that it depends on each individual's situation and hire an accountant to assist. I am a family of 4 with a meager income and a heavy burden, so I would like to ask you They teach. Do I not need to fill out a tax return based on my situation? Excuse me sir Kind regards (translated by Google)
Posted Fri, 10 Nov 2023 10:26:41 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi yanyan,
If your only income is your PAYE salary £9000 and bank interest of £6800 then this does not meet the criteria for submitting a Self Assessment tax return.
At the tax year end once HMRC receives your income details we would review your records and a calculation would be issued if you have underpaid or overpaid your tax.
Thank you. 

You must be signed in to post in this forum.