Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Tue, 06 Aug 2024 16:30:12 GMT by Diana
Hi, My mother moved to the UK in 2016 and will reach her retirent age in 2025. Therefore, she will have only 9 qualified years before her retirement age. However, she did work for more than 30 years in the EU. Her understanding is that she will be intitled to claim State Pension in the UK for 9 years. Would her pension increase if she defer it? Thank you, Diana
Posted Wed, 07 Aug 2024 20:59:52 GMT by Siegfried Winkler
Hi, I have the same problem. Before I came to UK I worked for 20 years in Germany. I know when you apply for retirement in UK they will contact Germany and the years will add. But UK has a very low state pension. Do I get my Pension from Germany I would be entitled to or just the years added. The same must be with your mother. I retire 2025 as well.
Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2024 09:10:29 GMT by HMRC Admin 21 Response
Hi Diana,
May I ask that your mother contacts The Pension Service on 0800 731 0175 and they will be able to advise her of her current and future entitlement to a UK State Pension and if any periods spent in EU countries may help her.
She may like to receive a State Pension Forecast which she can obtain via:  Check your State Pension forecast.
Thank you.

Posted Fri, 16 Aug 2024 16:23:09 GMT by Gary C
A person who has worked in the UK and an EU country should be entitled to a pension from each country. Each country will look at they pension they would pay, if any, based solely on the person's contribution record in that country, and the look at what they would receive if they assumed all contribution periods from all countries had been made in their country. This theoretical amount of pension is then apportioned, based on the actual contribution record. Diana, so, with 8 UK years and 30 elsewhere in the EU, the person should get a UK pension based on those 8 years as the EU aggregation will get them past the required 10 years. They will also get pensions in the other EU country/ies on the same basis. Siegfired, with 20 years in Germany and years in the UK, you will get 2 pensions. Ask DRV for a Rentenauskunft including your UK years and you may find that you will be entitle to more than you thought because of how the EU rules pan out with the German rules. The German pension will be taxable only in Germany and your tax office will be Finanzamt Neu Brandenburg. But yes, talk to the Future Pension Centre as HMRC say, and/or with the International Pension Centre as they can advise on the way to claim your EU pensions. HMRC should advise on the taxation of those EU pensions as they are not all the same as Germany.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.