Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 21 Sep 2023 15:46:32 GMT by Minimalist1984
Hi, I completed my tax return for 21-22 online in January and paid the tax owed at that point. I now have a letter saying I may need to amend the return for the HICBC. Looking back at the return, I input the CB payments I received correctly and my salary correctly - so wouldn't that have calculated what I owed via the HICBC at that point? I don't have anything different to input, as it all looks correct, so I'm a little confused as to what to do. Thanks very much in advance.
Posted Fri, 29 Sep 2023 16:24:24 GMT by HMRC Admin 20
Hi Minimalist1984,

We would need to view the Self Assessment tax return to check the entries made.
Please contact HMRC Self Assessment: general enquiries

Thank you.
Posted Sun, 01 Oct 2023 10:15:14 GMT by Minimalist1984
Thanks - I spoke with an agent on Friday (0300 200 3300), who checked my return and confirmed everything had been input correctly and the correct amount of tax paid. They could not understand why I had been sent the letter and were a bit perplexed about how unspecific it was. I tried calling the child benefit specific line (0300 200 3100) to query why I had been sent it and why it was so vague, but was on hold for over an hour and then cut off. All in all, an unfortunate waste of time, but I understand these issues happen.

You must be signed in to post in this forum.