Skip to main content

This is a new service – your feedback will help us to improve it.

Posted Thu, 14 Sep 2023 07:05:20 GMT by cm_oj
I understand that it I if I make a donation to charity using Gift Aid I can deduct that as part of calculating my adjusted net income. This calculation is also 'grossed up' to account for the 20% basic rate already applied so the value is increased by 25%. Separately, I am aware that charitable organisations can claim Gift Aid on the full value of the cost of admission into somewhere as long as the purchaser is willing to make an additional voluntary Gift Aid donation with it of at least 10%, the "10% rule". As an individual, if I payed an £11 admission with gift aid to somewhere (£10 + £1 donation), what would be the correct amount to take off my adjusted net income? Is it: £1.25 - Just the grossed up donation portion? £12.50 - The whole value grossed up, equivalent to what the charity can claim.
Posted Thu, 21 Sep 2023 14:07:39 GMT by HMRC Admin 19
Hi,

It would be the grossed up donation portion.

Thank you
Posted Fri, 08 Dec 2023 15:19:10 GMT by
To piggy-back on this questions. Is it also possible to deduct charity contributions made from following years when calculating adjusted net income, in a similar way to when carrying out a self assessment tax return? So an adjusted net income for 2022-2023 you can deduct any charity contributions from 2022-2023 and 2023 to 2024?
Posted Thu, 14 Dec 2023 12:17:19 GMT by HMRC Admin 5
Hi RobInnes

You will not be able to carry back the gift aid for adjusted net income calculation. 

Thank you

You must be signed in to post in this forum.